So you want to volunteer?
Yes, you want to volunteer! Mountaindale North Day Camp is completely staffed by adult volunteers (anybody over the age of 18). Camp does not happen without you! The more volunteers we have, the more campers that can attend. There are many reasons why you should volunteer…
We are now accepting both full and part-time volunteers!
Enjoy a Week at Mountaindale!
Mountaindale is a beautiful location, surrounded by nature and home to the beautiful Marilyn’s Lodge. Many volunteers come back year after year…moms, dads, grandparents, and community members that just love camp. Life-long friendships are made during the fun, rewarding, and magical week. Put away your cell phone and join us.
“I have been volunteering at Mountaindale North since 2013 and I can honestly say that it is one of my favorite weeks of the summer. A week at Mountaindale North can be fun, relaxing (at times), and incredibly rewarding. Some of my best friends are women that I have met through Girl Scouts and volunteering at camp. My younger two daughters have been coming to camp since they were 3 years old in the Widget Unit, and they have grown to love their week at camp as much as I do!”
Laura Bennett, MNDC Volunteer
Campers and PAs of full-time adult volunteers are guaranteed spots at camp.
A full-time volunteer that attends camp for all 5 days will receive a reimbursement for half of the cost of the registration fee for their camper or PA at the end of camp. There is no reimbursement for Widgets or Boys.
The Widgets unit is for children of volunteers, age 3-5 (boys and girls). Widgets do art projects, play outdoors, sing songs, and take nature walks while their parents volunteer in other units at camp. Widgets must be potty trained. Widgets may attend camp only when their adult volunteer is at camp.
The Boys unit is for children of volunteers entering kindergarten and above. The Boys unit learns outdoor skills, hikes, cooks, plays games, and does craft projects. The Boys unit is customized according to the age and interests of the boys in the unit. Boys may attend camp only when their adult volunteer is at camp.
The role of the adult volunteers is to support the PAs as they lead the younger campers and to provide the safety ratios set by GSOSW.
- Pass Background Check
All volunteers must complete and pass the GSOSW background check.
- Register for Girl Scout of USA Membership
All volunteers are required to be a registered member of GSUSA. If you are currently not a member, Mountaindale North will pay for your registration fee.
- Complete Mandatory Trainings
Volunteers must complete 664 GSOSW Foundations and 664 GSOSW Mandatory Reporter Training for Volunteers offered by Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington, available online on gsLearn. You can find the link in your My GS account. Note: If you are a past or present troop leader, you have already completed these trainings and they do not expire. Please consider volunteering this summer!
- Attend Indoor Training
Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at Oak Hills Rec Center. (2400 NW 153rd Ave, Beaverton, OR 97006)
New volunteer orientation starts at 5:30 p.m.
Returning volunteers arrive at 6:30 p.m.
- Attend Outdoor Training
July 22, 2023, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Have Fun!
Opportunities – There’s a role for everyone!
- Units – Widgets, Boys, Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors. Troop leaders, look here if you are wanting to focus on a particular age or grade level.
- Outdoor Explorers and Nature – Do you have a special interest in outdoor skills like fire-building, knife skills, knots and lashing, plant identification, or orienteering? These units might be the place or you.
- There are other specialty units such as archery, first aid, songs and games, gimp, arts & crafts if that suits your fancy.
- Kitchen – The role of the kitchen unit is to prepare the meals for the overnights, supervise the cooking units, and oversee the making of ice cream, GORP, and sno cones. This is the one unit where PAs do not lead; but we are looking for a few volunteers to join our 2 lead volunteers in this important role.